Knee pain affects many people, and it’s predicted that by the age of 85, 50% of the American population will experience some knee condition.
This percentage increases up to 66% in case you are obese or you have extra weight, as the lower extremities support all our movements and they are exposed to great pressure.
The knee pain can be a result of over-taxation, osteoarthritis, and injury, but it could be relieved with the help of some very simple stretches. You could find the stretches in the following below:
To support the health of your joints, you need to:
- Strengthen the surrounding muscles so as to lower the joint stress
- Consume a healthy dietthat is rich in vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- In case you are leading a sedentary lifestyle or your work requires sitting, you need to get up every 10 minutes in order to maintain mobility and to generate pain
- Do not try some vigorous exercise in order to prevent further complications, and walk or try pool aerobics in its place, which is going to preserve the joint mobility
- You should always do some warming up before exercising, and you should be cautious while stretching cold muscles. To strengthen your joints, you can do a brisk 10-minute walk, and try stretching afterwards.
When it comes to topical applications of natural remedies to soothe your knee pain, you definitely need to try these:
- Joint pain is often a result of a vitamin D deficiency, so you should make sure to enjoy the sunlight for 20 minutes a day, without applying sunscreen.
- The lemon peels support the blood flow and also reduce the swelling. Therefore, you just need to grate the lemon rind, squeeze the pieces together, and then apply them to your knee. Then, cover the area with some gauze and leave the lemon peel to act for around 2 hours.
- The antioxidants in Cayenne are able to inhibit the pain transmitters, and arnica loosens the joints and thus supports the mobility.
- Epsom salt is very high in magnesium, so you can apply it directly on your painful areas. The skin is going to absorb the mineral, and this soothes the pain and the inflammation. You can also dissolve two tablespoons of it in half a cup of water, soak cotton cloth in it, and then apply it on the joints. Leave the compress for around 20 minutes, and then wash it off. Also, you should occasionally enjoy a whole Epsom bath, because the magnesium can stimulate the production of serotonin, and relax your whole body.
- Ginger is one more powerful natural anti-inflammatory.
- Coconut oil has very potent anti-inflammatory properties too, so you need to warm a teaspoon of it between your hands and rub your knees, first clockwise, then counter-clockwise for around 10-15 minutes.
To soothe the knee pain, you also need toconsume the following foods:
- Herbs: in order to alleviate pain and soothe the inflammation, you need to use evening primrose, stinging nettle, and Boswellia.
- Gelatin is high in collagen, the component of the bones and the connective tissue, which soothes the pain and improves mobility. You could add plain gelatin to smoothies, and yogurt, or you can also mix it with fruit juices, honey, spices, andherbs.
- Vitamin D is found in a few foods, such as eggs, organic orange juice, mushrooms, and fatty fish, such as wild salmon, tuna, sardines, andmackerel.
- Spices with anti-inflammatory properties areturmeric, ginger, cayenne, and cinnamon.
So, in order to prevent and relieve knee pain, you need tobe physically active, get enough sleep, eat well, and maintain a healthy body weight.